Nigeria’s Signature Cocktail, The Chapman: All You Need to Know and How to MixWritten by David MasifonPosted on 02 14, 2017
The flavourful Nigerian Chapman is one of the most popular beverages in the country. This unique cocktail features at nearly every Nigerian party, and keeps our foreign friends and visitors guessing.The origin of West Africa’s Sangria is shrouded in mystery, with hardly a serious story to support numerous claims, but it is generally agreed that there is some sort of connection to the surname “Chapman” which itself means a person who moves from place to place selling goods.
Contrary to popular belief, Chapman isn’t always alcohol-free. Angostura bitters, a key ingredient, does contain some alcohol (44.7%). Also, note that a splash of Campari liqueur is said to be the secret behind the unique cocktail’s taste. When prepared for kids, Angostura bitters and Campari liqueur should of course be left out of the mix.
Craved for its unique taste, Chapman can be found in most local bars and restaurants, yet is so easy to make that you can mix the refreshing drink in the comfort of your home at any time of the day.
How to make the Nigerian Chapman
The Nigerian Chapman is such a unique and complex cocktail partly because of the several, peculiar components involved in putting it together. Compared to most cocktails, Nigeria’s Chapman may have a long list of ingredients, but this doesn’t make it difficult to mix in the slightest.
Below are all ingredients needed for a proper Nigerian Chapman and how to prepare it:
- 4 tablespoons of Blackcurrant cordial (e.g., Ribena)
- 350ml Fanta, (chilled)
- 350 ml Sprite (chilled)
- 3 tsp Angostura Bitters
- 1 tsp orange, lemon, and lime juice
- Slices of cucumber, oranges, lemons, limes (to garnish) and fresh mint leaves (optional)
- 1/4 cup of vodka or Campari liqueur (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Fresh mint leaves
How to Make
- Fill your pitcher with the ice cubes
- Pour in your Fanta and Sprite
- Add your blackcurrant cordial, Angostura Bitters, orange, lemon and lime juice
- Add in the vodka (optional)
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves and cucumber