The Whisky Magazine Awards dinner held in London on Thursday, March 22nd, 2018 and the final results of the World Whiskies Awards 2018 were released.
Major global whisky producers including Suntory, Nikka, Maker’s Mark, Glenfiddich were present at the event which held at the Waldorf Hilton Hotel. The award which is held annually aims to showcase the very best whiskies in each global category. Several stages of the competition, overseen by world-renowned, expert judges and tasters, are held before the final announcement.
According to Rob Allanson, editor of the Whisky Magazine and chairman of the World Whiskies Awards, the awards have seen an immense growth since its inception.
‘Over 1000 brands were entered this year, all blind tasted by more the 40 expert judges across the world. This year will be interesting,’ he said.
Japanese whisky again performed well in the major categories, while the US and Australia shone in categories no one expected them to.
See the full list of winners below:
- World’s Best Rye – 291 Colorado Rye Aspen Stave Finish
- World’s Best Grain – Bains Cape Mountain Whisky
- World’s Best Bourbon – 1792 Full Proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon
- World’s Best Blended Malt – Taketsuru 17-Year-Old
- World’s Best Blended Limited Release – Ichiro’s Malt & Grain Limited Edition
- World’s Best Blended – Johnnie Walker Gold Reserve
- World’s Best Single Cask Single Malt – Sullivan’s Cove American Oak Single Cask
- World’s Best Single Malt – Hakushu 25-Year-Old
The night ended with Diageo’s Dr Nicholas Morgan and Kavalan founder, TT Lee and his son, being inducted into the Whiskey hall of fame.