Hands-down the biggest night in Hollywood, A-listers come out in droves late in February every year showing off their one-of-a-kind couture and hoping to take home a coveted Oscar. The event is super exclusive, so many of us have to settle for watching on television from our decidedly less enchanting couches. But just because we can’t get in on the event doesn’t mean we can’t drink like they did last night.
We got a look at exactly what Tinsletown’s elite sipped at the The Weinstein Company’s After Party, so we can whip up our own concoction at home in the comfort of our pajamas. Named Le Cinématique and Les Visionnaires, the cocktails were the beverage highlights of the evening and were meant to evoke a sense of classic Hollywood elegance.
“I thought about cinematic geniuses past and present and what they might actually like to drink.” Joe McCanta who created the Les Visionnaires recipe, revealed. “Champagne is served at literally every single party, and I wanted to offer creative cocktails to befit the best and the brightest who will be honored at the Oscars. I created Les Visionnaires with the terroir of the Hollywood Hills in mind and incorporated notes of lemon, pear, cedron and wheatgrass. I grew up looking to the Hollywood Hills for inspiration and thought of the millions of people just like me whose hearts and dreams are stirred by gazing up at the iconic sign.”
As for the Le Cinématique cocktail, McCanta turned to his friend Tom Kerr of SoHo House, who came up with a drink full of bright citrus notes which complement Les Visionnaires.
How to Make These Cocktails
Unlike the stars did, we can enjoy these classy cocktails our pyjamas so here’s how to mix them yourself:
- 1.5 parts Grey Goose La Poire
- 3/4 parts fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 parts homemade sage syrup
- 2 part Cedron Tea
- 1 spritz of ‘fresh cut grass essence’
How to make
- Mix your Grey Goose La Poire, lemon juice, sage syrup and Cedron Tea in a shaker.
- Shake and strain over fresh ice cubes into a Collins glass
- Spritz the cut grass essence on top.
- Garnish with stirrer and wheatgrass.
- 50ml Grey Goose
- 35ml Martini Rubino
- 15ml fresh lemon juice
- 15 ml simple syrup
- Splash of soda water
- Grapefruit slice
How to Make
- Add all ingredients except sparkling water into a cocktail shaker with one ice cube.
- Serve in a highball glass over ice before topping with sparkling water.
- Pinch grapefruit zest to release the aromas over the top of the drink, then discard.
- Garnish with a grapefruit slice