Great cocktails you can make at home: Sex on the BeachWritten by David MasifonPosted on 05 09, 2017
Sex on the Beach is one of the most popular cocktails from around the world. There is hardly any cocktail lover, bartender or mixologist that is not familiar with this fruity mix with a special kick of vodka.
The cocktail dates back to 1987 in Florida, USA when a distributor had just begun to sell a Peach schnapps, and in a bid to make sales, put up a contest that would see the bar that sold the most peach schnapps take home a bonus of $1000 and the bartender that was responsible at that bar for the highest sales, a $100.
When asked what the name of his cocktail was by customers, he said “Sex on the Beach” on the spot, for the sole reason that people who came to Florida during the spring break were there because of the beach and sex.
The popularity of the drink grew, such that when tourists returned home and asked their local bartenders for ‘Sex on the Beach,’ lost as to what a drink they had never heard of tasted like – the bartenders created many variations of the drink.
There are basically two major variations –
- The International Bartenders Association Official Cocktail made from vodka, peach schnapps, orange juice, and cranberry juice.
- Mr. Boston Official Bartender’s Guide, made from vodka, Chambord, Midori Melon Liqueur, pineapple juice, and cranberry juice.
The cocktail has grown in popularity that it is being served in several bars around the world. But for a drink that has a provocative name, yet is full of fruity goodness, you can as well be your own mixologist and make it at home.
What you need
- 50ml vodka
- 50ml peach schnapps
- Dash of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 100-150ml cranberry juice
- 100-150ml orange or pineapple juice
- Ice cubes
- Lemon slices, orange wheel, and/or mint sprigs, to serve
How to prepare
- Add all the ingredients to a shaker and fill with ice.
- Shake, and strain into a highball glass filled with fresh ice.
- Garnish with either an orange wheel, lemon slice or mint sprig.
Easy peasy and takes just about 20 minutes to prepare!!!